Bhsgarden@blogspot.com

Sunday, April 12, 2020

Let's make potting soil

If you're like me you have a lot of projects on your list.  THIS year I want to have potted flowers in my front yard around my deck so I can sit outside and enjoy watching the birds.  

One stumbling block I've run into is soil.  Good potting soil is expensive.  2 cubic foot bags of potting soil can run form $12 - $15 per bag!  I purchase the 'good stuff' when I'm starting seeds or need to give a good start to flower starts.  But when you have twenty 3 gallon pots like I do that need filling?  Yikes!




Don Tipping of Siskiyou Seeds in Williams (Josephine County) shares their method of making potting soil for seed starting.

Summary:

Finished compost (see a post next week where we talk about starting your compost pile.)

Clean sand - not beach sand as that has tons of salt and will poison your soil 

Egg shells - keep those egg shells and grind them to add for a calcium addition

Powdered kelp - I know, I know, we live on the ocean.  I've been unsuccessful actually finding kelp on the beach!  He talks about how powdered kelp is a livestock feed.  Who Knew?  I bet Del Cur carries it.

That's it!

Check out the video here:

Making Potting Soil for Seed Starting

No comments: